Friday, June 15, 2007

Getting started - day 2

Yesterday I finally received through the materials - books and lectures for the Cali bar exam in July. Crazy isn't it! SO close!!! Spent most of yesterday trying to schedule around barbri's paced planner. The problem is, their paced planner begun May 20th doing approx 2 subjects a week and taking you right up to the exam nicely. However, because they messed me around this time with delays in getting the materials and then delays in sending them out I didn't receive them until yesterday - almost a month into the paced programme they suggest you follow.

Hence - I scheduled it so that I am pretty much doing one subject per day, 3 essays a day, and 2 lots of MCQ's a day until July 4th when the paced planner thing would have just finished the main bulk of the new law stuff and begun proper review of everything. July 4th I basically catch up with the paced planner and join it possibly for the rest of the time until the exam - it worked last time with the NY bar exam so definitely willing to give it a go this time as well!

So yesterday after the whole scheduling thing, I sat and began listening to Civil Procedure lectures - managed to get through almost 5 hours before decided it was pointless going on (too knackered) so hit the sack; Then got up this morning around 7.30 ish, did half an hour, went back to sleep for an hour, then got up and finished the rest of Civil Procedure. After this I got on with what I had 'scheduled' for today - i.e. Criminal law/Crim law MCQ's and CP essays. Going ok so far but the problem always comes with sticking to a schedule after x number of days - first few days tend to be alright - it's a bit of a novelty and you aren't quite tired out yet but after a certain number of days doing the same kinda shit, day in, day out and not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel - that's when it's gonna get bad - and that will probably be around this time next week.

Gonna try to keep updating this thing daily mainly just to keep a record of the 'experience' i guess lol. Back to it!

_______________________________________________________
MCQ's taken today - Criminal Intermediate 1-74 - Score = 53/74

3 comments:

calbar blondie said...

Richard, Are you actually writing out three full-length essays a day? I'm impressed.

Richard said...

Not actually - must admit - tried doing that at first but time limits meant I just started to outline the essay then looking at sample essay - going to try and write at least one in full a day though! :)

calbar blondie said...

After I read this post, I promised myself that I would write one full one a day from now on. Wrote a conlaw shortie and emailed it to the tutor. What, a short conlaw essay??? Nahhhh It was a very annoying one from the mid-1990's about Congress passing a lead paint inspection code. It's Essay Nine in the Barbri workbook(from 2006, but I'll bet it's in your new one!)